Sunday, January 17, 2010

Take 5-5", 12 Block Hawaiian


I got to looking at the wonderful Take 5 pattern by Teachers Pet and thought that it should work for my 5"x 9 1/2" as well--the orginal size is only slightly smaller.  I had done it scrappy before, rather than the 5 fabrics the pattern calls for, so I know it looks great.  And it is a fast and fun pattern any way you do it--5 fabrics or scraps.  Using up scraps fast makes it a great service quilt.

It only uses 1 5"x 9 1/2" per block.  But it does uses 3 5" squares.  We have plenty of our 5" Charm Squares.  And when I can't get any more 5"x 9 1/2" Slices from a scrap of fabric, I cut 5" squares, so I have stacks of those, too.  The big square is 9 1/2".  I don't have those precut in stacks, but it is easy to grab some collection of scraps that is calling to me with a color or pattern theme.  I cut whatever is possible into 9 1/2" squares, then whatever possible into 5" x 9 1/2" slices, then 5" squares from the lefovers. 

This quilt is made with just 12 blocks.  Twelve is such a fast and easy number to make.  Then they are laid out 3x4, tossed and turned any way that looks good. 

Block size is 13 1/2".  Quilt top before borders is 40x54.  Bordered with 6" it is 52x68--another great size for a youth or adult throw.
BUSTED!  12  5"x 9 1/2" Slices.  36  5" squares.  2 or 3 fabrics are gone after cutting the 9 1/2" squares, and some Slices and 5" squares.  3  2 1/2" green strips, cut in half for the inner border all gone.  Border fabric was a back trimming, now all gone with the border and blocks in this quilt.  Binding all gone, a piece just the right size from the scrap heap.  This quilt is actually the 3rd done from a box of Hawaiian fabric squares and scraps, and the box no longer exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment